Power Rangers 2017 Review
Not gonna lie not the fastest review of the particular movie, but the thing is i never really had big inclining to go watch Power Rangers in cinemas after seeing first trailer, it really got the Hollywood treatment which made me very uninterested on the movie.
In the Cenozoic-era, six interplanetary warriors, the Power Rangers, are tasked with protecting life on Earth and the Zeo Crystal. The Green Ranger, Rita Repulsa, betrays them and plans to dominate the universe. The Red Ranger, Zordon, survives Rita’s attack and hides five of the Rangers’ power source, the Power Coins. He orders Alpha 5 to perform a meteor strike that kills him and sends Rita to the bottom of the sea, foiling her scheme.
In 21st century Angel Grove, high school football star Jason Scott is dismissed from the team and placed under house arrest after a failed prank. In school detention, he encounters Billy Cranston and Kimberly Hart. After defending Billy from a bully, Billy offers to deactivate Jason’s ankle monitor for help at an old gold mine that evening. Once there, Jason leaves to explore and runs into Kimberly. Billy detonates explosives to break some rock, attracting the attention of Jason, Kimberly, and nearby students, Trini and Zack. The five discover the Power Coins and each take one. While escaping mine security, their car is hit by a train. The five find themselves at home the next morning and discover they have been granted superhuman abilities. Elsewhere, Rita’s body is found. Waking, she goes on a rampage, hunting pieces of gold to raise her minion Goldar to find the Zeo Crystal.
First of all i could write an essay on how much things they changed from the original setting and how diverted the movie was from the source material. As many know i am big on source material and being truthful to the legacy and how the creator/artist depicted the material him/herself.
Things that didn’t feel Power Rangers Like
- Overall tone and filming style of the movie is very dark, which doesn’t really fit into Power Rangers universe
- Filming Location was in Vancouver which is very contrary to Sunny California where other series were filmed on
- All the Rangers were more angst & delinquent like, which contradicted original rangers who were prime examples of responsible and great role models in school and outside it
- Zordan’s character was very off and he seemed to have lot more “feelings” and strong opinions among a big ego that original didn’t have
- Rita Repulsa felt lot crazier and they had poor casting choice on her part, plus whole costume felt very marvel like (see video reference)
- Romance and LGBT themes pushed a bit too, which were never a thing among the power ranger characters in-group at least.
- Goldar didn’t talk and hes role was changed quite a bit too
I Think this movie is great representation on what is wrong with Hollywood these days, multiple reboots happening which are not truthful to the source material and have their own twists and things which are generally not widely appreciated by the fans or viewers alike.
The new Mummy movie and also Upcoming Netflix Death Note are prime examples of Hollywood taking an IP and doing something completely different with it – i can’t really think great examples where these reboots and rehashes have been good, this wasn’t as bad as 10 years ago. Peter Jacksons King Kong was a good reboot for example and still probably stays as best Kong of them all.